Proposing NPanday for incubation at Apache

Coordinator
Jun 23, 2010 at 3:31 PM

Hi all,

With the 1.2 release now out of the way, I'd like to suggest that we propose NPanday for incubation at the ASF. There are a few reasons for this.

Firstly, it's a natural fit. As you may know, NPanday originated out of a former Apache Incubator podling. A number of the committers here are committers on other Apache projects, and so are very familiar with the practices and infrastructure there. Of course, I am a little biased on this :)

Secondly, though initially populated by MaestroDev employees, the project has always been intended to run as a meritocracy, and is growing by gaining independent contributors and committers. This is something we want to continue to encourage. The ASF is well equipped to handle the legal documents and governance of the project.

Finally - and perhaps driving some urgency - is that all of the developers are becoming frustrated with the Codeplex infrastructure. The SVN bridge is not working well for us, and we get regular failures trying to do basic operations and releases. Additionally we're finding the tracker to be slow and hard to work with. The ASF has a responsive infrastructure team with all of these services, and additional resources available. If we don't make this move, I expect we would either need to look into getting that improved, or be considering alternate hosting anyway (at least switching source control).

It is worth noting that Apache offers a high amount of visibility for a project - though it is not generally known for .NET projects. However, the feedback I've received is that those finding the project have done that through other means, not simply because it was at Codeplex.

We also need to note that this will require some effort. Firstly there is the migration. Then at Apache, it may take some extra time to get the first releases out, and we will need to put specific energy into growing the community. I think as we push towards NPanday 2.0, this is actually the best time to be doing those, though.

I've already discussed this with several of the active developers, but wanted to call for further feedback, including from any lurking contributors and users of NPanday. 

If we're in agreement, I will put together a proposal to post to the Incubator. I have already been in touch with potential mentors. You might be interested to take a look at the template for what is involved: http://incubator.apache.org/guides/proposal.html#proposal-template. 

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Cheers,
Brett

Developer
Jun 28, 2010 at 2:06 AM
+1 on moving to Apache. I'd attest that intermittent connection to Codeplex SVN's really frustrating sometimes. Thanks for proposing this Brett! :)
Developer
Jun 28, 2010 at 10:43 AM

+1 from me, too!!

I think there are some good reasons to move to native git/hg, though... The workflow for forking svn repos (also those with git-mirrors :)) with git is not really a fun one.

Does ASF offer a git-repo? Is the ASF svn mandatory?

Coordinator
Jun 28, 2010 at 12:13 PM
larscorneliussen wrote:

+1 from me, too!!

I think there are some good reasons to move to native git/hg, though... The workflow for forking svn repos (also those with git-mirrors :)) with git is not really a fun one.

Does ASF offer a git-repo? Is the ASF svn mandatory?

Yes, incubation and projects are requiring Subversion at the moment. The git support there is read-only or dcommit:

I'm not quite sure of the benefits of easy forking for the project itself though?

Codeplex does support native hg repos now, though I'm not sure how that would impact potential contributors too. Also as I've said I think there are additional reasons to move the project in addition to the SVN issues :)

Coordinator
Jun 29, 2010 at 12:38 AM
+1 on Moving to ASF for me. The predecessor of this project was also started there and there were no problems with the infra there before. Also ASF has a great track record with their other open source projects.
Jun 29, 2010 at 2:53 AM

+1 to moving to the ASF. The direction of the NPanday project is a good fit to what the ASF is about. I also find the ASF infra setup more convenient than Codeplex's..