Documentation format?

Developer
Jan 6, 2009 at 5:29 PM
What format is the NPanday documentation kept in?  Is it all a wiki?

I'm looking for documentation on NPanday features, such as the Project Importer.  I'd be happy to contribute some docs, but it's not clear how that would be done... the 'How to Get Involved' section on the home page only mentions patches to the code.

Thanks,
--
Wendy

Coordinator
Jan 7, 2009 at 1:55 AM
There are no guidelines yet for the documentation but we will just follow the one in the front page and create a new separate child page for specific documentation.

Thanks,
Developer
Jan 7, 2009 at 2:02 AM
I was more asking how the 'source' for the documentation is stored... from poking around Codeplex I'm fairly sure it's a wiki that only the committers have access to. 

So how would a non-committer contribute to the docs?

What about bundling documentation with a release, and keeping docs for different versions online?  I'm wondering if keeping the "documentation" (as opposed to the website) in another format might make sense...

What do .NET projects normally use for user documentation?  (Please don't say MS Word!)  My preference is for plain text formats so that you get 'diffs' just like with the source code.  I'm most familiar with DocBook which is an xml format that can be converted to html and pdf... does anything else come to mind?

Thanks,
--
Wendy
Coordinator
Jan 7, 2009 at 2:19 AM
Yes keeping the documentation in a simple text format would be alot easier to edit and including it in a release would help the user to differentiate between the docs since it is a release specific documentation.

Developer
Jan 29, 2009 at 2:57 AM
Any further thoughts on this?

There are some APT (Almost Plain Text) docs in https://npanday.svn.codeplex.com/svn/trunk/site, do they need to be updated? Or is the idea to use some other plain text format, like DocBook?

Thanks,
--
Wendy
Editor
Feb 2, 2009 at 9:22 AM
Hello,

I think that docbook is a little too much as it is designed for IT technical book. I think that the wiki is the more usable for now (at least everybody can contribute). APT is an alternative but must be generated and then deployed somewhere ...

If you want to play docbook we have a great tool for maven (http://code.google.com/p/docbkx-tools/) and I am also contributor on it so fell free to ask any questions.

Regards,
Cédric,

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 4:58 AM, wsmoak <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Any further thoughts on this?

There are some APT (Almost Plain Text) docs in https://npanday.svn.codeplex.com/svn/trunk/site, do they need to be updated? Or is the idea to use some other plain text format, like DocBook?

Thanks,
--
Wendy

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (npanday@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email npanday@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com