Minimum install for command line builds?

Developer
Feb 9, 2009 at 7:00 PM
We have VS 2005 or 2008 on developer laptops and can 'import' projects to generate the pom.xml files.  However after that, the poms are checked into Subversion, and the project needs to build on the continuous integration server.

For testing we've gone ahead and installed VS 2005 on the CI server, but this really shouldn't be necessary.  It doesn't need to use the Addin, it just needs to do command line builds.  Now we're running into problems trying to build VS-2008-based projects, and are trying to avoid installing VS 2008 on the CI server.

What are the minimum installation requirements for NPanday to build a project (at the command line) that already has correct poms?

--
Wendy
Editor
Feb 10, 2009 at 3:33 AM
from what i understand about npanday now. the server needs VS2008 as well. because gacutil, resgen and some builders are located in the SDK. which is only installed  when installing Visual Studio.

Developer
Feb 10, 2009 at 3:43 AM
I don't think VS should be a requirement for NPanday to work.  It wasn't intended to be for NMaven -- there the intention was to support .NET, whether it be MS or Mono.

If I want to write my code and pom.xml files in Notepad, and build at the command line, it should work. :)

Editor
Feb 10, 2009 at 4:29 AM
some build tools are not bundled with .netframework and we are using in npanday. one of this is gacutil and resgen. but this can be remedied by downloading it and editing the npanday-setting.xml.

thats the best solution i can think of...
we can include the necessary tools(app) that are not located in .NetFramework in the npanday installer.

Feb 11, 2009 at 2:11 AM
I believe that gacutil and resgen come with the .Net 2.0 SDK as opposed to the frameworks itself.  I will check it out and post back.
Feb 17, 2010 at 5:46 PM
Edited Feb 17, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Could anyone answer the question? Is it possible to build project with already generated pom.xml files at the commmand line (and without VS installed)?

Should SDK be installed or the .NET Framework will be enough?

Coordinator
Feb 17, 2010 at 10:14 PM

Yes, this is certainly possible with "mvn clean install" or other desired command line.

You need to have the SDK as well as the framework installed and in the PATH. For .NET 2.0 projects, you can obtain the .NET 2.0 SDK separately. For .NET 3.5 projects, you need the latest Windows SDK installed. You do not have to install Visual Studio itself to use NPanday from the command line, though that certainly does work for installing the SDK if you already have it and don't want to download the other packages.