NPanday CI Build

Editor
Mar 4, 2009 at 4:38 PM
Hi guys,

I'm working on putting NPanday to public CI server. Currently it's impossible because building the project requires invoking bootstrap-build.bat. I need to convert bootstrap.bat -DMicrosoft -DVisualStudio2005  to mvn clean install -DMicrosoft -DVisualStudio2005.

I disected bootstrap.bat and here's the flow:

1. install all java plugins
2. upload thirdparty plugins to local repository (gac)
3. install dotnet plugins (netplugins and assemblies)
4. install dotnet-repository-builder
5. install npanday-repository-builder

I'm pondering for solutions on how to achieve the same flow above. The working solution that i could think of requires changing the some directory structures of npanday. It has advantage though. It improves the project hierarchy.

In order to achieve the flow above, these changes will be made:
1. Pulled out netplugins and assemblies folder because they are dotnet artifacts and put them in one project. They are now in:
         npanday-trunk/netplugins/npanday-plugins  (previously  npanday-trunk/plugins/netplugins)
         npanday-trunk/netplugins/assemblies

2. Added a thirdparty-installer project w/c installs all third party jars.
3. Added dotnet-repository-builder to the modules of npanday parent project.
4. Added npanday-repository-builder to the modules of npanday parent project.

The modules of npanday.project will be
  <modules>
    <module>components</module>  
    <module>archetypes</module>  
    <module>plugins</module>
        <module>thirdparty-installer</module>
        <module>netplugins</module>
        <module>misc/dotnet-repository-builder</module>
        <module>misc/npanday-repository-builder</module>
  </modules> 

I've uploaded the project in https://npanday.svn.codeplex.com/svn/branches/npanday. You can now mvn install -DMicrosoft -DVisualStudio it in commandline.

Any ideas/suggestions/thoughts would highly be appreciated.
Editor
Mar 5, 2009 at 2:47 AM
Sounds good. I think we need to analyze the dependencies a bit since
build order is important. as i've understood before the
repository-builders should be the last to build. In continuum if
we'll add this as a non-recursive build, it will sort topologically
(Graph) in order to determine the build order.

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 1:38 AM, [email removed] wrote:
> From: agramirez
>
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm working on putting NPanday to public CI server. Currently it's
> impossible because building the project requires invoking
> bootstrap-build.bat. I need to convert bootstrap.bat -DMicrosoft
> -DVisualStudio2005  to mvn clean install -DMicrosoft -DVisualStudio2005.
>
> I disected bootstrap.bat and here's the flow:
>
> 1. install all java plugins
> 2. upload thirdparty plugins to local repository (gac)
> 3. install dotnet plugins (netplugins and assemblies)
> 4. install dotnet-repository-builder
> 5. install npanday-repository-builder
>
>
> I'm pondering for solutions on how to achieve the same flow above. The
> working solution that i could think of requires changing the some directory
> structures of npanday. It has advantage though. It improves the project
> hierarchy.
>
> In order to achieve the flow above, these changes will be made:
> 1. Pulled out netplugins and assemblies folder because they are dotnet
> artifacts and put them in one project. They are now in:
>          npanday-trunk/netplugins/npanday-plugins  (previously
> npanday-trunk/plugins/netplugins)
>          npanday-trunk/netplugins/assemblies
>
> 2. Added a thirdparty-installer project w/c installs all third party jars.
> 3. Added dotnet-repository-builder to the modules of npanday parent project.
> 4. Added npanday-repository-builder to the modules of npanday parent
> project.
>
> The modules of npanday.project will be
>   <modules>
>     <module>components</module>
>     <module>archetypes</module>
>     <module>plugins</module>
>         <module>thirdparty-installer</module>
>         <module>netplugins</module>
>         <module>misc/dotnet-repository-builder</module>
>         <module>misc/npanday-repository-builder</module>
>   </modules>
>
> I've uploaded the project in
> https://npanday.svn.codeplex.com/svn/branches/npanday. You can now mvn
> install -DMicrosoft -DVisualStudio it in commandline.
>
> Any ideas/suggestions/thoughts would highly be appreciated.
>
> Read the full discussion online.
>
> To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email
> ([email removed])
>
> To start a new discussion for this project, email
> [email removed]
>
> You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on
> CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.
>
> Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts
> to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com
Editor
Mar 5, 2009 at 3:03 AM
I encountered problem in continuum. The build order is changed. I thought the build order of continuum would be the same as maven in commandline.

Here's the build order of maven in commandline:

[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO] Reactor build order:
[INFO]   npanday-project
[INFO]   dotnet-components
[INFO]   dotnet-registry
[INFO]   dotnet-core
[INFO]   dotnet-dao-project
[INFO]   dotnet-model
[INFO]   dotnet-model-netdependency
[INFO]   dotnet-artifact
[INFO]   dotnet-model-assembly-plugins
[INFO]   dotnet-assembler
[INFO]   dotnet-model-executable-plugins
[INFO]   dotnet-model-compiler-plugins
[INFO]   dotnet-model-settings
[INFO]   dotnet-vendor
[INFO]   dotnet-executable
[INFO]   dotnet-model-configuration-appenders
[INFO]   dotnet-model-entries
[INFO]   dotnet-plugin
[INFO]   dotnet-repository
[INFO]   dotnet
[INFO]   maven-archetype-dotnet-simple
[INFO]   maven-archetype-netexecutable
[INFO]   maven-archetype-vb-simple
[INFO]   maven-dotnet-plugins
[INFO]   NPanday.Plugin.Addin.JavaBinding
[INFO]   NPanday.Plugin.Devenv.JavaBinding
[INFO]   NPanday.Plugin.Settings.JavaBinding
[INFO]   NPanday.Plugin.SysRef.JavaBinding
[INFO]   maven-compile-plugin
[INFO]   maven-aspx-plugin
[INFO]   maven-deploy-plugin
[INFO]   maven-fxcop-plugin
[INFO]   maven-install-plugin
[INFO]   maven-link-plugin
[INFO]   maven-mojo-generator-plugin
[INFO]   maven-resgen-plugin
[INFO]   maven-repository-plugin
[INFO]   maven-resolver-plugin
[INFO]   maven-test-plugin
[INFO]   maven-vsinstaller-plugin
[INFO]   maven-webapp-plugin
[INFO]   maven-xsd-plugin
[INFO]   maven-xsp-plugin
[INFO]   maven-wsdl-plugin
[INFO]   NPanday Third Party Installer
[INFO]   netplugin-installer
[INFO]   Dotnet Repository Builder
[INFO]   NPanday Repository Builder

And here's the build order of continuum:

Build Queue      Project Name      Build Definition      
DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     npanday-project     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
Continuum - Build Queue
      Build Queue     Project Name     Build Definition     
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     dotnet-components     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     dotnet-registry     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     dotnet-core     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     dotnet-dao-project     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     dotnet-model     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     dotnet-model-netdependency     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     dotnet-artifact     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     dotnet-repository     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     dotnet-model-assembly-plugins     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     dotnet-assembler     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     dotnet-model-executable-plugins     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     dotnet-model-compiler-plugins     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     dotnet-model-settings     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     dotnet-vendor     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     dotnet-executable     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     dotnet-model-configuration-appenders     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     dotnet-plugin     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     maven-dotnet-plugins     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     maven-repository-plugin     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     Dotnet Repository Builder     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     maven-compile-plugin     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     maven-aspx-plugin     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     maven-deploy-plugin     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     maven-fxcop-plugin     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     maven-install-plugin     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     maven-link-plugin     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     maven-mojo-generator-plugin     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     maven-resgen-plugin     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     maven-resolver-plugin     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     maven-test-plugin     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     maven-vsinstaller-plugin     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     maven-webapp-plugin     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     maven-wsdl-plugin     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     maven-xsd-plugin     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     maven-xsp-plugin     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     NPanday.Plugin.Addin.JavaBinding     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     NPanday.Plugin.Devenv.JavaBinding     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     NPanday.Plugin.Settings.JavaBinding     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     NPanday.Plugin.SysRef.JavaBinding     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     dotnet     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     maven-archetype-dotnet-simple     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     maven-archetype-netexecutable     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     maven-archetype-vb-simple     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     NPanday Repository Builder     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     NPanday Third Party Installer     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     dotnet-model-entries     Default NPanday Build Definition     Cancel
    DEFAULT_BUILD_QUEUE     netplugin-installer

NPanday Repository Builder  and Dotnet Repository Builder should be at the end cause netplugin-installer will install all dotnet plugins and the repository builders would bind them all.

Coordinator
Mar 5, 2009 at 3:06 AM

On 05/03/2009, at 3:03 PM, agramirez wrote:

I encountered problem in continuum. The build order is changed. I thought the build order of continuum would be the same as maven in commandline.
It is different (Continuum uses alpha + dependencies, Maven uses module order + dependencies), but it looks like Continuum still honours the dependencies so it will be correct.

- Brett

Developer
Mar 5, 2009 at 2:31 PM
If you're renaming things, I'd suggest changing the 'misc' directory to something more descriptive, such as 'dist'.

I was looking for the repository distribution assemblies, which are important, and did not expect to find them labeled 'miscellaneous'.

Thanks,
--
Wendy
Editor
Mar 5, 2009 at 7:12 PM
I did renamed misc to repository-builders and it now serves as a parent project for dotnet-repository-builder and npanday-repository-builder.

Btw, due to the limitation of extension handling of plugins, it's not possible to build java plugins and dotnet plugins together. java plugins module should be installed first so that dotnet plugins can use it.

To elaborate further about the limitation here's the scenario:

NPanday.Plugin:NPanday.Plugin uses  npanday.plugin:maven-compile-plugin. If NPanday.Plugin:NPanday.Plugin and npanday.plugin:maven-compile-plugin  is in build reactor of parent, a build error will occur right after the reactor build order is displayed if and only if no npanday.plugin:maven-compile-plugin is in the repository yet. If it's in the repository, NPanday.Plugin will use npanday.plugin:maven-compile-plugin in the repository and not what's in the reactor.

Since we need to build java plugins and dotnet plugins separately, I pulled out javabindings from netplugins and moved them to plugins.

Here's the new directory structure of npanday:

npanday-trunk
 -- components (unchanged)
 -- archetypes (unchanged)
 -- plugins (javabindings are moved here)
 -- thirdparty-installer (previously thirdparty)
 -- netplugins (contains all dotnet plugins)
    -- assemblies
    -- npanday-plugins (previously npanday-trunk/netplugins)
 -- repository-builders (previously misc)
 -- src (contains src assembly descriptor)
 -- site (i can't find where it is used.)
 -- sandbox (i can't find where it is used.)

The sequence of building in CI is still the same as what's in bootstrap.bat. I'm afraid we can't eliminate bootstrap-build.bat but at least npanday can now be integrated to CI. I haven't tested if these changes will do no harm to npanday.
Coordinator
Mar 5, 2009 at 11:37 PM
Allan,

I think it might be a good idea to file a Maven bug that it doesn't support multi-project builds that use plugins they build that use extensions (there may already be one filed for it if you search first).

- Brett

On 06/03/2009, at 7:12 AM, agramirez wrote:

I did renamed misc to repository-builders and it now serves as a parent project for dotnet-repository-builder and npanday-repository-builder.

Btw, due to the limitation of extension handling of plugins, it's not possible to build java plugins and dotnet plugins together. java plugins module should be installed first so that dotnet plugins can use it.

To elaborate further about the limitation here's the scenario:

NPanday.Plugin:NPanday.Plugin uses npanday.plugin:maven-compile-plugin. If NPanday.Plugin:NPanday.Plugin and npanday.plugin:maven-compile-plugin is in build reactor of parent, a build error will occur right after the reactor build order is displayed if and only if no npanday.plugin:maven-compile-plugin is in the repository yet. If it's in the repository, NPanday.Plugin will use npanday.plugin:maven-compile-plugin in the repository and not what's in the reactor.

Since we need to build java plugins and dotnet plugins separately, I pulled out javabindings from netplugins and moved them to plugins.

Here's the new directory structure of npanday:

npanday-trunk
-- components (unchanged)
-- archetypes (unchanged)
-- plugins (javabindings are moved here)
-- thirdparty-installer (previously thirdparty)
-- netplugins (contains all dotnet plugins)
-- assemblies
-- npanday-plugins (previously npanday-trunk/netplugins)
-- repository-builders (previously misc)
-- src (contains src assembly descriptor)
-- site (i can't find where it is used.)
-- sandbox (i can't find where it is used.)

The sequence of building in CI is still the same as what's in bootstrap.bat. I'm afraid we can't eliminate bootstrap-build.bat but at least npanday can now be integrated to CI. I haven't tested if these changes will do no harm to npanday.

Editor
Mar 6, 2009 at 2:59 AM
Edited Mar 6, 2009 at 3:00 AM
Here's the link of that issue -> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-1911
Editor
Mar 6, 2009 at 9:02 AM
Hi guys, while doing a test release in ci, i got an error

[INFO] Updating local copy against the scm...
[INFO] Verifying that there are no local modifications...
[ERROR] org.apache.maven.shared.release.ReleaseFailureException: Can't release project due to non released dependencies :
    org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-plugin-plugin:maven-plugin:2.2-SNAPSHOT:runtime
in project 'maven-dotnet-plugins' (npanday.plugin:maven-dotnet-plugins:pom:0.9-SNAPSHOT)

I'll change org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-plugin-plugin to the released version in repo1. 2.2 - 2.5 are avaible there, should I use the latest w/c is 2.5 or 2.2?

Editor
Mar 6, 2009 at 2:24 PM
Edited Mar 12, 2009 at 11:13 AM
I got another problem when executing release:perform

[INFO] [jar:jar]
        [INFO] Building jar: D:\DevTools\xampp\htdocs\npanday\target\checkout\components\dotnet-artifact\target\dotnet-artifact-0.9.jar
        [INFO] Preparing source:jar
        [WARNING] Removing: jar from forked lifecycle, to prevent recursive invocation.
        [INFO] No goals needed for project - skipping
        [INFO] [source:jar {execution: attach-sources}]
        [INFO] Building jar: D:\DevTools\xampp\htdocs\npanday\target\checkout\components\dotnet-artifact\target\dotnet-artifact-0.9-sources.
        [INFO] [javadoc:jar {execution: attach-javadocs}]
        [WARNING] -top option is not supported on Java version < 1.6. Ignore this option.
        Loading source files for package npanday...
        Loading source files for package npanday.impl...
        Constructing Javadoc information...
        1 error
        1 warning
        [INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
        [ERROR] BUILD ERROR
        [INFO] Error while creating archive:Exit code: 1 - javadoc: warning - No source files for package npanday.impl
        javadoc: error - No public or protected classes found to document.

Command line was:"C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_17\jre\..\bin\javadoc.exe" @options @packages

[INFO] For more information, run Maven with the -e switch
        [INFO] Total time: 2 minutes 20 seconds
        [INFO] Finished at: Fri Mar 06 23:18:06 PST 2009
        [INFO] Final Memory: 35M/65M
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO] Maven execution failed, exit code: '1'

Editor
Mar 6, 2009 at 3:54 PM
I can't figure out what causes the error because I still get the error even in jdk 1.6.
Editor
Mar 11, 2009 at 8:55 AM
Edited Mar 11, 2009 at 9:38 AM
Hi guys,

I've fixed the problem. the sources of npanday.artifact is misplaced.   npanday.artifact is placed in dotnet-artifact/src/main/java/npanday. So I moved it to  dotnet-artifact/src/main/java/npanday/artifact.

Right now I got another problem. While doing mvn release:prepare on netplugins the following dependencies cannot be resolved

1) Microsoft.VisualStudio.CommandBars:Microsoft.VisualStudio.CommandBars:gac:b03f5f7f11d50a3a:8.0.0.0
2) EnvDTE:EnvDTE:gac:b03f5f7f11d50a3a:8.0.0.0
3) EnvDTE80:EnvDTE80:gac:b03f5f7f11d50a3a:8.0.0.0
4) Microsoft.Build.Engine:Microsoft.Build.Engine:gac_msil:b03f5f7f11d50a3a:2.0.0.0
5) Extensibility:Extensibility:gac:b03f5f7f11d50a3a:7.0.3300.0

I saw a warning that those files are not valid v4.0.0 poms.

Here's the pom of  Microsoft.VisualStudio.CommandBars:Microsoft.VisualStudio.CommandBars:gac:b03f5f7f11d50a3a:8.0.0.0  in my local repository

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><project>
  <groupId>Microsoft.VisualStudio.CommandBars</groupId>
  <artifactId>Microsoft.VisualStudio.CommandBars</artifactId>
  <packaging>gac</packaging>
  <version>8.0.0.0</version>
</project>

Am I missing a plugin in npanday that would resolve these libraries? Btw,  pom.xml of netplugins/pom.xml is just the renamed  npanday-trunk/pom-dotnet.xml + scm, distributionManagement and maven-release-plugin.
Editor
Mar 23, 2009 at 2:51 PM
Hello,

I tried adding scope and system path in those dependencies above but i got new error now :(. By the way, i've uploaded the modified npanday that i'm working locally here -> https://npanday.svn.codeplex.com/svn/branches/npanday. I configured a local svn for fast development. Just change the scms of those projects. There's also npanday-changes.txt for guide on what i've modified.

Here's the error:

[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO] NPANDAY-900-006: Unable to Compile: Language = C_SHARP, Vendor = MICROSOFT, ArtifactType = library, Source Directory = D:\DevTools\xampp\htdocs\npanday-local-branch\
netplugins\assemblies\NPanday.ProjectImporter\Engine\src\main\csharp

Embedded error: NPANDAY-040-001: Could not execute: Command = CMD.EXE /X /C csc /out:D:\DevTools\xampp\htdocs\npanday-local-branch\netplugins\assemblies\NPanday.ProjectImpo
rter\Engine\target\NPanday.ProjectImporterEngine.dll /target:library /recurse:D:\DevTools\xampp\htdocs\npanday-local-branch\netplugins\assemblies\NPanday.ProjectImporter\En
gine\target\build-sources\** /reference:C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC\Extensibility\7.0.3300.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Extensibility.dll /reference:"C:\Documents and Settings\Allan Ram
irez\.m2\uac\gac_msil\NPanday.Utils\0.9-SNAPSHOT__NPanday.Utils\NPanday.Utils.dll" /reference:"C:\Documents and Settings\Allan Ramirez\.m2\uac\gac_msil\NPanday.Logging\0.9-
SNAPSHOT__NPanday.Logging\NPanday.Logging.dll" /reference:"C:\Documents and Settings\Allan Ramirez\.m2\uac\gac_msil\NPanday.Model.Pom\0.9-SNAPSHOT__NPanday.Model\NPanday.Mo
del.Pom.dll" /reference:"C:\Documents and Settings\Allan Ramirez\.m2\uac\gac_msil\NPanday.Model.Settings\0.9-SNAPSHOT__NPanday.Model\NPanday.Model.Settings.dll" /reference:
"C:\Documents and Settings\Allan Ramirez\.m2\uac\gac_msil\NPanday.Artifact\0.9-SNAPSHOT__NPanday.Artifact\NPanday.Artifact.dll" /reference:"C:\Documents and Settings\Allan
Ramirez\.m2\uac\gac_msil\NUnit.Framework\2.2.8.0__NUnit\NUnit.Framework.dll" /nologo /warnaserror- /doc:D:\DevTools\xampp\htdocs\npanday-local-branch\netplugins\assemblies\
NPanday.ProjectImporter\Engine\target\comments.xml, Result = 1
[INFO] For more information, run Maven with the -e switch
[INFO] Total time: 1 minute 13 seconds
[INFO] Finished at: Mon Mar 23 23:01:36 PDT 2009
[INFO] Final Memory: 24M/46M
Editor
Apr 16, 2009 at 3:13 AM
Hi,

Updated some changes with the branch  ( with agramirez's permission ) in  https://npanday.svn.codeplex.com/svn/branches/npanday-r26291-2/
I've successfully build and release it in command line and Continuum when I exported the sources to my own svn repo. When I committed it in svn.codeplex repo, I always get the svn 200 error code  during a test release specifically in the part where maven-release-plugin tries to commit the tagged sources.  Maybe it's the  codeplex's svn infrastructure that is causing the problem.

Jan