Plugin naming conventions

Developer
Aug 12, 2009 at 3:46 AM

On issue 9272 Joe asked for the name to be changed from npanday-wix-plugin to maven-wix-plugin. In #npanday, Brett suggested wix-maven-plugin.

What should it be?  I rather like having npanday in the name. :)

I think the maven-x-plugin convention is a holdover from NMaven, which was intended to become part of the Apache Maven project.  Plugins outside the Maven project are usually named x-maven-plugin.

I guess the question is... is this a Maven plugin, or an NPanday plugin?  (Or is NPanday just a set of Maven plugins...)

[1] http://npanday.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=9272

--

Wendy

Coordinator
Aug 12, 2009 at 6:28 AM

In a sense I was also raising a point to change the naming convention of the plugins. I agree with wendy that having npanday in the name of the plugin is rather nice it gives sense of ownership towards npanday.

Coordinator
Aug 17, 2009 at 8:34 PM

There is a pretty clear convention in Maven for how these should be named:

• groupId = ownership
  • artifactId = subject-maven-plugin

I would go with npanday.plugins:wix-maven-plugin

Developer
Aug 18, 2009 at 5:05 AM

That makes sense to me, thanks.  Can someone add this to the wiki as a guideline for developers?  (The existing groupId is npanday.plugin (singular).)

For this one, I  changed the artifactId to wix-maven-plugin and attached a new zip file to http://npanday.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=9272 .

-Wendy

Coordinator
Aug 18, 2009 at 7:22 AM

Ok I will update the wiki and also create an issue to change the other plugins following the new convention.

Thanks Brett and Wendy

Coordinator
Aug 18, 2009 at 7:07 PM

On 18/08/2009, at 3:22 AM, jocaba wrote:

Ok I will update the wiki and also create an issue to change the other plugins following the new convention.

I wouldn't bother changing the existing plugins at this stage - it becomes a compatibility issue between versions for little value.

- Brett
Coordinator
Aug 19, 2009 at 6:06 AM

Ok that issue will just be placed in the backlogs.