Enhance the Project Models in Memory

Coordinator
Sep 29, 2009 at 8:41 AM

Hi Everyone,

The current implementation on the project models are very volatile at the moment, and would greatly depend on the first load of the project and solution.

If we would always keep track of the files needed( source files, pom files, resource files, etc...) this would allow better development for future feature enhancements.

The only downside that I'm currently seeing is that in order to have an updated model of the projects currently opened we would need a constant listener for the changes that might be happening outside of VS.

What do you guys think?

-Joe

Coordinator
Sep 30, 2009 at 5:53 AM

On 29/09/2009, at 5:41 PM, jocaba wrote:

Hi Everyone,

The current implementation on the project models are very volatile at the moment, and would greatly depend on the first load of the project and solution.

If we would always keep track of the files needed( source files, pom files, resource files, etc...) this would allow better development for future feature enhancements.

The only downside that I'm currently seeing is that in order to have an updated model of the projects currently opened we would need a constant listener for the changes that might be happening outside of VS.

What do you guys think?

I think people are going to rarely modify them outside of VS while it is open. What seems to work really well in Eclipse for Java is that things are pre-loaded and used in memory, then stored when modified. At the time of storing, you can check if the timestamp still matches what it was when you loaded the data - if in the rare case it is not you can ask the user whether to use the one changed in VS or the one changed on disk (discarding the other changes).

At this stage the important things to do are:
- record this wish in the issue tracker to track the need
- split out a task to centralise all the file i/o for the POMs in particular (though others of relevance may need to be done as well).

Cheers,
Brett